Attributed to Kei Shoki (born? – Active from 1478 to 1506, probably died in 1518)
Muromachi period (1333-1573)
Hanging scroll: painting and mounting on silk
Awasebako (collector’s box) inscribed “landscape painting painted by Kei Shoki”
Certification by Kosekian Kousai (born? – 1862)
H.: 64.3 cm – L.: 49 cm (218 x 120.5 cm)
Kei Shoki (also called Shōkei, Shōkei Kenkō, Hinrakusai) was a Zen monk and a famous of suiboku-ga, ink painting in the tradition of masters Tenshō Shūbun and Sesshū.Beginning in 1478, he was in Kyoto and learned Chinese painting under the great artist Shingei Gei-Ami by copying ancient works from the Shogun collection. Three years later, he returned to his original temple, the Kencho-ji in Kamakura, and directed the shoki Office (secretariat, calligrapher), hence the name Kei Shoki (Kei the calligrapher). He is considered the most important painter of that period, particularly for his works depicting landscapes and Buddhist saints in a style similar to the Chinese school of the Southern Song. His paintings are in many public collections, both in Japan (Tokyo National Museum, Kyoto National Museum, Nezu Museum) and abroad (Metropolitan Museum, New York, Boston Fine Art, Cleveland Museum of Art, the British Museum; etc.).
Ookura Kousai was an expert in ancient paintings and calligraphy during the Edo period. His date of birth in Kyoto is unknown, but he died in 1862. He is also known as Kosekian. He served the Kisyuu clan.
The certification says: “Landscape painting: it is a genuine piece painted by Kei Shoki“, signed Kosekian Kousai, winter 1841.